Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Super Mario World 2005

After my first mario paintings sold at the show, the curators asked me to do another peice for the closing party. For some reason I forgot about all the pain that went into the first 3 pieces and decided to do the "ultimate mario painting". I started to think of the best game to do. As luck would have it, I just played through "Super Mario World" for the SNES a couple of months before this. I was blown away by the sprites, the gameplay the environments, music and characters in that game, so the chioce was natural. I started with some reference-oh the wonders of the internets! Then drawing-- I couldn't stop, and before I knew it, I redesigned pretty much every character in the game!


That's good for the enemies but what about the stars?! Well, those are always the most fun:

Then once I was happy with some of those characters, I figured out how to fit 'em all in there!

Now color! The best part! The most fun! When I started referencing the colors of the game, I found out that Miyamoto/Nintendo actually had a real color script in the game! Wow! Even more genius! So I tried to incorporate that:

Yes, this is a color comp created in flash. I find it's the easiest way to resize/color/layer and export everything.
So, now the most dreadful part of the piece must commence...the painting! Here's some rare pics of the work in progress.

Well, after the second night, I finished the Background, and I hated it! I thought it looked terrible!
So, the next night I completely started over and repainted the entire background!
Then the characters...


Then finally, after 4 nights, the "ultimate mario painting" which turned into the "ultimate pain in the butt" was finished!

Here's some other doodles from the first Mario pieces:


Now that I'm all caught up on old paintings, time for some new ones!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Leo said...

That is an AWESOME painting, Gabe! I can't see the bigger version, for some reason, though, I dunno why. Glad to see you blogging!

7:27 PM  
Blogger burgerlog said...

neato!

8:44 PM  
Blogger PotatoFarmGirl said...

Wowza!!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Vujovic said...

Dude, that is so freakin' awesome! I totally wanna take my shot at doing some mario stuff now too! Oh boy! What an idea!
Actually remembering I drew a quick piece two years ago but boy, mario in gouache!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! GREAT PAINTING! Can we see some bigger scans though, please??? Those doodles are hilarious!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Gabe Swarr said...

Thank you all for such kind words! You shouldn't be so nice though!

I tried to get all the drawings/designs to look relly blank and ignorant. They just seem that much funnier somehow...

The pictures are mighty big now! I was running into some technical difficulties. My advice to bloggers, only use Firefox to compose your posts! Lesson learned the hard way!

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mario was my dad's name!

12:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They’re amazing I especially liked the last one – pengobatan kutil pada kelamin tanpa ke dokter de Nature Kondiloma

11:19 PM  
Blogger Rajinder said...

I loved this game and used to play on my old macbook

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home